How many times when travelling have you thought you smelled gas. If you have a gas leak then you could be in big trouble. I have personally seen two fires because of a gas leak.
One was in Coral Bay when a brand new van pulled in and the husband was on the roof of his van attaching his annex. To this day I am not sure what happened exactly whether the wife opened the front window (letting in the leaking gas from bottle outside). The thing is there was a big bang and the husband was catapulted off the roof. Within minutes the van was completely burned to the ground. The wife was taken away by the flying doctor.
Another time a Volkswagen’s roof lifted with the force of the explosion in a caravan. Luckily no one was hurt in this one.
Beware when opening front window of caravan if your gas bottles are on the tow hitch. Gas will enter through that open window if you have a leaky gas bottle.
Checking for Gas Leaks
These accidents can be avoided if owners of caravans and RV’s took the time to check for leaks each time they change their gas bottles.
How to improvise when traveling if you find you left your brush home.
What you need
- Liquid soap
- 1/2 Cup Water
Mix small amount of liquid soap into cup with water. Dip brush into this mixture and dab all over the leads and fittings on your gas bottles. If bubbles appear you know you have found the leak. Tighten all fittings until no bubbles appear when more liquid applied.
We were camped at a free camp many years ago when a guy next to us decided to check his new gas extension. The trouble was he decided to do it with a small bun-son burner. We took off very quickly. Never ever use a light of any sort to check for gas leaks.